The Calgary Public Library Foundation is happy to accept the following items in excellent condition:
- classic titles, older best sellers and popular fiction of enduring interest
- local materials about Calgary and Southern Alberta
- books that have been published or purchased within the past 5 years
- popular, current paperbacks
- CDs and DVDs
We are unable to accept the following items:
- materials that are worn, torn, underlined, highlighted, dusty, dirty, mouldy or in otherwise poor condition
- encyclopedias, computer books and manuals, Reader’s Digest condensed books, colouring books, workbooks, blank page journals
- previously sold Library material
- records, cassette or VHS tapes
The Library will accept up to 10 donated books at a time at any branch. For more than 10 items, donations are accepted at the Calgary Public Library Foundation office on the second floor of the Memorial Park Library (1221 – 2 St SW) between noon and 5:00 pm Monday through Friday. If you have potential donations that fall outside the guidelines (including donations in languages other than English, please contact the Library Foundation at 403-221-2002.
Please examine each book to make sure it meets the donation guidelines. Handling and disposing of unusable material costs the Library money. Donated books will be considered for the collection in accordance with the Library’s Material Selection Policy.
The Library is unable to return donated books. Donated books not added to the collection will be placed online for sale through our partnership with Better World Books. Book sales tables are no longer available at any branch; please visit betterworldbooks.com to view online items.
The Calgary Public Library Foundation will work with donors who would like to provide funds to purchase specific titles for the Library. While not all requests can be accommodated, we will work to ensure the satisfaction of the donor.
See this list for other organizations that may accept your books.
If you have any questions about donating books or materials, please call the Calgary Public Library Foundation at 403-221-2002.
Donating Valuable Books to the Calgary Public Library Foundation
Tax receipts can be issued for the donation of books of significant value. Please make these donations through the Calgary Public Library Foundation.
In order for the Calgary Public Library Foundation to issue a tax receipt, please remember that:
- The Canada Customs and Revenue Agency (Revenue Canada) requires that the item be appraised, in writing, by an independent, recognized expert.
- The donor is responsible for arranging the appraisal of the item, and for any fees involved in that appraisal. If the item is accepted by the Calgary Public Library Foundation, those fees may be included as part of the donation value.
To arrange for your donation of a valuable book or item, please call us at 403-221-2002.