Computer Technology programs are offered at the library throughout the year. Volunteer coaches assist customers in a variety of ways:
- Volunteers assist customers in the use of the Internet and software applications such as E-mail, Word, Excel and PowerPoint. These programs are taught by staff with volunteers assisting customers one-on-one to practice the acquired skills
- Volunteers provide one-on-one support to drop-in customers in the TDC during scheduled times
- Volunteers assist customers using a variety of adaptive technology software on the ALEX workstations
- Volunteers assist homebound customers, generally seniors, to practice computer skills in their homes. (This service is intended to offer an introduction to computer skills rather than to offer ongoing support
- Volunteers in our Creation Stations provide assistance to individual customers using Adobe Photoshop, Premier Elements and potentially web design software.
Computer Technology is designed:
- To provide access to computers and support with computer technology to Calgarians
- To enhance Calgarians’ abilities to use computer technology and electronic resources
- To increase awareness and use of library resources, services and programs
Length of the Program
- Varies depending upon the type of the program. Example, CyberSeniors is 2 hours.
- Good computer technology skills
- Good listening and communication skills
- Flexibility and good problem solving skills
- Demonstrated ability to accommodate a diversity of backgrounds and skill levels
- Help participants to learn and practice basic computer skills
- Commit to participate in the program for a minimum of one year
- Contact library staff if you unable to attend a scheduled session
- Respect confidentiality
- There is no formal training; however, a one-one-one introduction to the program, program contents, and responsibilities as a Calgary Public Library Volunteer is conducted.
Computer Technology Program Contact:
Marian Erb Email: Marian.Erb@calgarypubliclibrary.com Phone: 403-260-2648
If you are interested in volunteering for the Computer Technology program, please apply here.