ESL Teen Talk (Youth Opportunity Grades 7-12)
Create a fun environment where newcomers can become more comfortable with English and the culture of Calgary! Meet students in Grades 5 to 9 and take part in enjoyable group activities such as board games and Wii, to encourage conversational skills.
ESL Teen Talk is designed:
- To provide a safe and friendly environment for teens to practice their conversational English
- To provide an opportunity for youth volunteers to develop mentoring skills
- To increase awareness and use of library resources, services and programs
Length of Program
- 1.5 hours a week for five weekly sessions throughout the year.
- Volunteers will be junior or high school students (grade 7 – grade 12)
- Volunteers will be reliable, have a positive attitude, good literacy and facilitation skills and enjoy working with peers who have English as a Second Language
- Volunteers will be good role models
- Attend volunteer orientation session
- Be a good role model for the participants
- Follow the guidelines set out by the program coordinators
- Ensure that the participants have an enjoyable learning experience
- One and a half hour training session covering program materials, as well as roles and responsibilities of being a Calgary Public Library Volunteer
- Introduce yourself to new people and opportunities
- Have fun and contribute to your community
- Develop new skills: inter-personal skills, leadership, problem solving, communication, and time management
ESL Teen Talk Contact:
Email: Katie.Radke@calgarypubliclibrary.com Phone: 403-221-2036
If you are interested in volunteering for the ESL Teen Talk program, please apply here.