Peer to Peer Study Group (Youth and Adult Opportunity)
Peer to Peer Study Group is a weekly program designed to provide encouragement and assistance to students in grades 10 to 12 to help and support students to complete homework assignments. Students will drop-in to the program to access homework help resources, complete homework, and receive assistance from their peers, adult volunteers and staff. A team of teen volunteers provide tutoring assistance to their similarly aged peers. 1 to 2 adult volunteers may also be present at each session. One trained staff member will be present and available at all times to assist participants and volunteers.
Peer to Peer Study Group is designed:
- To help with homework assignments
- To instill confidence and a genuine desire for lifelong learning
- To confirm and develop the links between the Library, learning and fun
- To develop participants’ sense of responsibility
- To increase awareness and use of library resources, services and programs
Length of the program
- 1 hour a week from the end of January to the April/May
- 1 hour a week from the end of September to Mid-December
- Attend an orientation and training session
- Help participants complete homework assignments, develop good study habits, and provide encouragement.
- Plan and implement weekly fun literacy activities with fellow volunteers and branch staff.
- Ensure a positive, comfortable and productive learning environment.
- Respond to parents’ inquiries.
- Commit to participate for a minimum of one term (September – December and/or January– June).
- Contact library staff if you are unable to attend a scheduled session.
- Respect confidentiality.
During induction the following topics are reviewed with the volunteers:
- Introduction to Calgary Public Library
- Review of program goals
- Review of a typical day in the Peer to Peer Study Group program
- Introduce yourself to new people and opportunities
- Have fun and contribute to your community
- Develop new skills: inter-personal skills, leadership, problem solving, comunication, and time management
Peer to Peer Study Group Contacts:
Marian Erb (adult volunteers) Email: Marian.Erb@calgarypubliclibrary.com Phone: 403-260-2648
Katie Radke (youth volunteers) Email: Katie.Radke@calgarypubliclibrary.com Phone: 403-221-2036
If you are interested in volunteering for the Peer to Peer Study Group, please apply here.