New year, new contest! If you resolved to be a better writer this year, we have a great way to get you started and help you improve your craft.
I’m proud to announce our brand new teen fiction writing contest – Just Write. We have fantastic prizes lined up, including a spot at a weekend writer’s retreat for teens, a one-on-one mentoring session with a local author, a chance to read your work at the flywheel Reading Series, and book prize packs (of course!).
Ready to write? Here’s how it works.
- A spot at Drink the Wild Air, a weekend writing retreat for teens run by Young Alberta Writers (Feb. 21-23 at Kamp Kiwanis).
- A one-on-one mentoring session with local author Jani Krulc.
- A prize pack of teen books and works by local authors, along with the chance to read at the March session of the flywheel Reading Series put on by filling Station magazine (March 13th at Pages on Kensington).
To know what was in the shop you had to go inside; the patina of dust on the front window was thick, but once I thought I made out the shape of an owl on the other side of the glass, its wings lifted in frozen flight. (The sentence)
- This contest is for teens, ages 13-17.
- You MUST use at least one of the two writing prompts provided above – your work will either include the sentence provided, or be based on the picture (or both).
- Entries must be no longer than 500 words. Prose, poetry, and graphic/comic formats are all welcome (graphic formats must include some writing).
- Send your entries to email@example.com by the end of Saturday, January 25th, 2014.
- Winners will be chosen by a panel of judges and announced at Calgary Public Library's Writer's Weekend on Saturday, February 1st, 2014.