1. Share books from infancy. Introduce books to your child and they will grow up loving them.
2. Show your child how a book works. Point out the front cover, and teach your child to turn pages.
3. Let your children see you read. They will want to do what you do.
4. Make book-sharing fun, whether you cuddle up together at bedtime or read for a few moments during playtime.
5. Talk about what you see in a book. Look at the pictures and let your child describe what they see.
6. Have fun with language. Say nursery rhymes and repeat them often.
7. Sing together. Music encourages an understanding of the sounds in words.
8. Talk about your day and ask about your child's day.
9. Read longer stories or tell imaginative stories to your children. Choose stories that have a beginning, middle, and an end to encourage reading comprehension.
10. Point out print all around us. Show your child the text in the books, on sings, and on cereal boxes.
BONUS TIP: Remember to get a FREE Library card for your child today.