Each of the 18 Calgary Public Library locations has a Literacy Collection. The collection includes books, cds, dvds and electronic resources which are created for adult learners. Adults who are learning English benefit from materials that include
- visual cues
- simple vocabulary
- larger fonts
- more white space
- shorter sentences, paragraphs and chapters
Materials found in the Literacy Collection focus on
- easy reading for practice
- pronunciation, speaking and listening
- test preparation
- reading comprehension
These materials are further divided into three learning levels:
Look for these labels on Literacy Collection materials
ESL Book Club-In-A-Bag
Includes multiple copies of an easy reader intended for a group setting. Funded by Citizenship and Immigration Canada, the ESL Book Club-In-A-Bag kits are designed to facilitate discussion and promote reading comprehension among groups of beginner, intermediate, and advanced ESL learners.
Free with your Library card.
- Help with reading, writing, math and other skills from the elementary school to college level.
- Free registration required to use this site.
- Career eBooks and practice tests for a wide variety of occupations.
- Work skills improvement, including business writing.
- Microsoft software tutorials.
- Practice tests and exam preparation for college and careers, including:
- Advanced Placement
- Citizenship Test
- Spanish Language GED
- TOEFL iBT
- Test-Taking Skills Improvement
- College Admissions
- College Placement
- Interactive language learning courses.
- You have the option to create a personal account to track your learning progress.
- Arabic, Cantonese, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dari, Dutch, Farsi, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Haitian, Creole, Hawaiian, Hebrew, Hindi, Indonesian, Irish, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Mandarin, Norwegian, Pashto, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Slovak, Spanish, Tagalog, Tamil, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, Urdu and Vietnamese.
An easy-to-use toolbar that works with applications, like Microsoft Word, allowing customers to access reading, writing, and support tools from within programs they use every day. Available on ALEX computer workstations at 8 libraries.
Language Learning Lab
The Language Learning Lab located on the 5th floor of the Central Library provides audio-visual equipment dedicated to language learning. Pronunciation Power software available on computers in the lab is designed to improve English language skills, such as pronunciation, vocabulary, listening and speaking.
The regular Learning Lab is located on the 3rd floor of the Central Library. It is a dedicated space where you can develop your computer, job search, and research skills.