All branches of the Library are equipped with computers for public use. Computer use requires a valid library card and allows access for 2 hours per day. Software provided includes Internet Explorer, Microsoft Office, and Adobe Reader.
- 2 Hours per day
- Black and white printing is available for $0.25 per page
- Visitors to Calgary may use the public computers or internet for a fee of $2.00. "Out-of-town" ID may be required as proof of non-Calgary residence.
- Parents or guardians determine the level of internet access available to their dependents. Children and Young Adult cards may be:
- unfiltered (the same as an Adult card)
- filtered (limited access. No email or social networking sites)
- no access (internet rights are withheld) Determined by parent or guardian.
- All personal information and working documents are cleared after the session ends. Customers are responsible for saving their own materials to a private device, such as a USB memory stick.
- 15min "quick access" terminals are available on the Main Floor of the Central Library and Forest Lawn.
- Internet only (No Microsoft office)
- free for visitors
The internet can be accessed through our public computers or via the wireless network for personal devices. To access from your laptop or other device:
- Browse to available wireless networks and select "LibraryWiFiHotSpot"
- Launch your preferred web browser. You will be prompted for your login. Enter your full library card number and PIN number (the last 4 digits of your phone number)
- Press "Accept and Login". That's it! You're ready to surf the web
Please note: Library staff cannot provide assistance in setting up or configuring your computer. Please contact the manufacturer of your computer or wireless network card for any help you may need.
- Basis of Access The Calgary Public Library (the “Library”) grants you the right to gain access through this public access network (the “Network”) to the Internet and other electronic resources, on the following terms and conditions. Your use of this Network is subject to these terms and conditions, to which you agree. You agree that the Network is provided on an AS IS and AS AVAILABLE basis. The Library disclaims all responsibility and liability for the availability, timeliness, security or reliability of the Network. The Library also reserves the right to modify, suspend or discontinue your access to the Network with or without notice at any time and without any liability to you.
- Accuracy of Registration You represent and warrant that (a) all of the information provided by you to the Library in order to log onto the Network is correct and current; and (b) you are not prohibited by any law, order or judgment (whether civil or criminal) from accessing the Internet.
- Internet Content The Internet is an unregulated, global environment and should be used with care. Information found on the Internet may not be accurate, complete or current. Customers who use the Internet must carefully assess the information they receive from this medium. The Library does not control the information on the Internet and assumes no responsibility for any direct or indirect claims, damages or costs sought by users or third parties arising from the Library’s provision of access to Internet services through this Network. The Library takes no responsibility for third party content (including, without limitation, any viruses or other disabling features), nor does the Library have any obligation to monitor such third party content.
- Public Use Your access to the Library’s Network is in public space, and you must not display materials on this Network which, in the opinion of any Library staff, are unlawful, obscene, abusive or otherwise objectionable. You will immediately comply with all directions from Library staff to stop accessing and displaying any such material. If you have accessed the Network through a public access terminal (the “Terminal”), to protect your privacy and security, and for the convenience of others, you agree to log/close out of any programs you have opened, before leaving the Terminal. The Library assumes no responsibility for the security or privacy of any on-line transactions you conduct.
- Security The Library does not provide encryption or other security measures to protect information you send or receive over the Internet. As with any Internet connection, there is no inherent security. We caution you to use prudence in your transmission of confidential or sensitive information over the Internet.
- WiFi Hotspot ServiceIf you are connecting to the Network through our WiFi Hotspot (wireless access service), be aware that wireless telecommunications connections are, by their very nature, more prone to loss of connection, due to the limited broadcast range of a hotspot, interference caused by physical structures and external interference (including interference with the radio signal through jamming, competing broadcasts on same frequency and temporary electro-magnetic influences). This instability can result in the loss or corruption of data in transmission. In addition, any wireless transmission is capable of interception, even if you are sending data through a secure website (an “https” URL). The Library has no responsibility or liability to you resulting from any such loss or corruption of data, or from data interception or other consequences of your use of an unsecured wireless communications service.
- Legal Compliance In accessing the Internet, you are subject to federal, provincial, and municipal legislation related to Internet use, including the provisions of the Criminal Code regarding obscenity, child pornography, sedition, and the incitement of hatred. You must not use this Network for any illegal purposes. You agree that you will use the Network in compliance with all applicable municipal, provincial, federal and international laws, rules and regulations, including any laws regarding the transmission of technical data. You shall not (a) use the Network to upload, transmit or otherwise distribute any content that is unlawful, defamatory, harassing, abusive, fraudulent, obscene, contains viruses, or is otherwise objectionable (as determined by the Library in its sole discretion); (b) upload, transmit or otherwise distribute content that infringes upon another party's intellectual property rights or other proprietary, contractual or fiduciary rights or obligations; or (c) use the Network for any fraudulent or inappropriate purpose.
- Copyright Copying or distributing material found on the Internet may infringe on copyright or other intellectual property rights of others. The Library is not responsible for such infringements by you.
- Terminal Limitations If you are accessing the Network through a Library Terminal you shall not download or install any software program on this Terminal.
- Time Limits and Reservations for Use Your Library Card allows you to access the Network for up to 120 minutes per day, on a first-come, first-served basis. Some Library locations have arrangements for booking Terminals for particular time periods for use. Please ask staff for further information.
- Filtering Software and Choice of Access for Children At least one Terminal in each of the Library’s branches uses commercial filtering software which prevents certain material from being accessed. All other Terminals feature the option of filtered or unfiltered Internet access. These filters block much of the material on the Internet that may be considered inappropriate for children. However, the filters are not fully effective, and the Library has no responsibility or liability to you resulting from any inappropriate material being displayed on the Terminals. It is the responsibility of parents or guardians to choose filtered or unfiltered Internet access for their children, and to guide their children’s Internet activity. Parents or guardians may block Internet access on their child’s Library Card, or choose only filtered access. Please talk to staff if you choose this option. Filtering is not available for customers using wireless connections the Network. Cards of minors whose parents or guardians who have chosen no access or filtered access will not have access to the wireless network.
- Indemnification You agree to hold harmless and indemnify the Library, its directors, officers, employees and agents, from and against all third party claims and legal proceedings of every kind whatsoever arising from or in any way related to your use of the Network, including all legal costs incurred by the Library in the defence of such claims and proceedings.